Monday, November 26, 2012

The perils of winter in Korea



Overall I have been having a very positive time in Korea. Great kids, great location, great coteachers, etc. I do have a major qualm, however, with Korea. I come from Montreal, where it gets COLD in the winter. I never liked the cold, but it was bearable due to fun snow times and cozy hot chocolate evenings. The winter here is so far lacking in both snow and indoor warmth! While the temperature is not as low here as it would get to back home, I am finding myself much colder due to the fact that they are  still opening the windows. Going to the bathroom is like an arctic survival mission. Seriously. Mix that in with the fact that toilet paper is kept outside of the stalls, and the fact that there is no dryer OR paper towels, AND the fact that the sink water is often ice cold (or scathingly boiling)... well let's just say I do not enjoy using the bathroom at school. After sitting in the cold all day by the time I get home I truly feel like the cold has seeped into the marrow of my bones.

Anyways, whining aside, I haven't really been doing as many fun things to blog about. The festivals are over due to the horrible weather, and I am not inclined to go on any scenic out door treks. Hopefully soon I'll get myself over to the Gyeongju Museum or something.

This weekend was American Thanksgiving, and some of my new friends were kind enough to invite me over for a potluck. It was astonishingly amazing. I made a side of squash, onion, spinach, herbs and (my new favourite vegetable) bacon. It was a hit, at least, I liked it. There was also a gigantic turkey reminiscent of Dr. Seuss' roast beast, cranberry sauce, and about 5 different types of potatoes. Oh and a glorious pumpkin soup. It was so amazing to taste so many homey flavours. I haven't been that full in a long time and while it was painful, it was a good pain.


Thanksgiving in Korea. Delicious!!!
Today a girl said to me "I hope class finishes soon" at
the beginning of class haha. Then she gave me this.
MIXED SIGNALS GIRL.

Adorable t-shirt letter
Me! I used to hate the girls who would suck
up to teachers by drawing them... buuuuut
let's just say my perspective has changed ;)
Love this.

How impressive is this? And he (or she I really can't tell by
the names or the handwritting) got a perfect test score too.
In Korea a circle means correct, not incorrect. Anyways
the last question on the test is "What are you going to
do tomorrow?" and s/he wrote "I'm going to draw pictures."
Good!! Because this is so amazing!



I will leave you today with some food for thought. Teaching English has made me realize that our language is insane. The mixture of germanic and latin has left us with just a total mishmash devoid of all logic. The future in English is absolutely insane. I am stating to think French verb tenses, the bane of my childhood, are easier. Why? Because the future tenses are always future tenses. Check this out:

What are you going to do this weekend?
What will you do this weekend?
What are you doing this weekend? --> SERIOUSLY THIS ISN'T FUTURE WHY IS THIS THE MOST NATURAL SOUNDING SENTENCE?

"I'm going to the store in an hour. I'm going to get some candy. It will be awesome." Seriously what is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment