Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pretty boy

I don't remember if I have talked about 'pretty boy' here yet. He is a student in my grade 6 class. When I first started and was all petrified of the kids and all, the bigger ones scared me the most. I figured at least for the small kids, I would be physically intimidating. Plus bigger kids were likely going through puberty and that's just never a fun time. So anyways, this kid is quite a bit taller than me, and a little chubby so that he is in total quite a bit bigger than me. I pretty much instantly could tell those who were getting after school English lessons and he wasn't one of them. So I thought oh boy this big guy will hate English and me.

BUT I WAS SO WRONG.

He is the CUTEST THING EVER. He always tries, not matter what, even if the sounds coming from his mouth are not even close to English. For the first month whenever he saw me in the hall he would say "Teacher. Me. Pretty boy?" and when I would reply yes he would get SO excited and haul out his little friends so they could hear me confirm his beauty. He is always smiling and when he does his eyes disappear into his adorable chubby cheeks. Other teachers love him too, he is obviously a super sweet boy with a huge heart.

ANYWAYS - my coteacher once pointed out to me that his parents owned a rice cake shop down the street. I in turn told this to my friend. Because she hears me gushing about Pretty Boy all the time, she was able to recognize him the other day when she went into the shop. She told him she knew me. Apparently he looked incredibly shocked, but once she was able to express that she knew me and that I said he was a good boy, he beamed up at her proud as could be.

Today when I saw him, he skipped down the hall towards me a full speed. I hope you can imagine a husky 12 year old skipping at full speed. It's amazing. Anyways, here is our conversation.

"Teacher! (insert Korean sentences here). Your friend! Come see me! I so SCARED."
"Yes! She told me. Don't worry, she is not scary."
"She SO TALL. Pretty! OKBYE!"

And away he skipped.

PS  Pepero are cookies that  you may have heard by their Japanese name : "Pocky." Apparently Nov 11 is Pepero Day (feels almost wrong having a cookie day on Remembrance Day) and so tomorrow kiddies will be bringing me Peperos and asking for some in return. I am bringing my camera, maybe I'll get some hilarious shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment