Monday, November 12, 2012

Any weight I may have lost since arriving in Korea...

is instantly going to be gained back now that I have bread and cheese in my life again. Oh my god. Now when I come home my thoughts are no longer "what can I make that is palatable" but "what of the plethora of delicious options do I want to savour." Delicious. So delicious. Sandwiches have re-entered my life. Cheesey pasta. CHEESE EXPLOSIONS.

Moving on...

Today a few more kids brought in some Pepero presents. These gifts were even cuter because they were premeditated for me! Check it out:


From left to right they say

To: Anne
From: One of your student (This girl didn't have me today so when she say me outside of class she was so happy to be able to give it to me. Such a sweetheart. An older girl too, so not just like little kid giddy!)

To: (Student's name in Hangul) Seo Yeong Tik? Tik isn't a regular sounding name, but it's really hard for me to read handwritten hangul.
From: Ann

To: (English teacher written in Hangul)
From:  5 -5 Chui A Yeong

I LOVE THEM.

Cute interactions of today:

1. Student comes into class with an open box of pepero sticks. Comes up to me and says
"TEACHER. YOU EAT PEPERO! EAT PEPERO!"
I obviously complied.
He gave one to my coteacher and the other foreigner teacher who doesn't teach him.

2. At the end of the day another boy gave me a pepero from his open box, but I was wearing mittens (CAUSE IT'S SO COLD INSIDE) and I broke it. That wouldn't do, so he gave me another.

3.Student "Anne Teacher! What is your name!"
Anne: "Anne"
Student: "No, you're NAME!"
Anne: "Anne?"
Student: "Your REAL name!"
Anne: "Oooh, my full name?"
Student "Yesyesyesyes"
When I showed my full name, which I suppose I shouldn't put online on this public blog, the kids  had such a laugh. I even added my middle name for shock value. All the names here are the same length - one character for the last name (eg. Kim) and 2 for the first name (eg. Jong Il). A huge proportion of them have the same name. So my name was just ridiculously long to them.

They kept pronouncing my last name as Banana. I wrote it out for them in Hangul though and then they got  it.

Ok haha note how I wrote "last name" and "first name" but obviously I meant "family name" and "given name." Whoops! It's so confusing to me that it's reversed here.

Cute observation of today:

2 boys were staying in my English room after school was out. School ends for them at 2 30 and I stay till 4 30. Normally I get to hang out alone but occasionally kids will stay late. I had no idea what they were working on. They kept rough housing really intensely, like I swear one was strangling the other, but they were laughing and having fun. They kept calling each other "mango" and "frog"
"Teacher! His name is Mango!"
"Teacher! His name is Frog!"
Frog would then choke Mango for a while and when he released him ..
"Frog! Frog! You are frog!"

Haha anyways finally though they get back to business and what were these rambunctious crazy boys working on? Oh no big deal, only this BAD ASS ROBOT. These kids are in grade 6! I hope they were proud that I asked for a picture.

Our computer skills in grade 6 were playing Lemmings
and Boom! 




No comments:

Post a Comment