Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Visiting the doctor

Visiting the doctor was probably one of the most surreal moments of being here. I figured I might have strep throat, but no one seemed to know what I was talking about at school. Either way, I figured it wouldn't hurt to see a doc and my wonderful coteacher offered to take me after school. School finished at 4 30 and I am typing this post home at 5 haha. Not likely in Canada.

So we go into what I assume is the waiting room. There are a few of us sitting on a bench, a dentist chair and a nurse. But wait, actually it is the doctors room and that man is the doctor. He wore that big circle on a headband thingy that doctors wear in old school comics. Patients would take turns in the chair while the doctor talked to them for about a minute then they'd leave. When it's my turn I am ushered into said chair and just keep looking at my coteacher confusedly. The doctor says "talk to me!" and I realize oops he speaks English. So I quickly explain my symptoms : sore throat, cold sweats, achiness... And he tells me my throat is infected. Ha thanks buddy. He also sprays my tonsils with cooling minty mist, that was a nice surprise. Then he checked out my nostrils. Unexpected. Then he says he's writing me two prescriptions. My coteacher tells him I can't have penicillin, but I can't understand anything else in their conversation. I keep asking what I am being prescribed and he just keeps telling me medicine. Finally I ask do I have a virus or bacteria? And he says bacteria. So I guess antibiotics?

Anyways the first prescription was a "pain killer" that was an injection on my upper thigh. Aka my glute. Aka my butt cheek. The second we filled out in the pharmacy downstairs. I got like a billion pills. 4 to take with breakfast, 4 with lunch, and 4 with dinner, for three days. (okay fine 36 isn't quite a billion).  They all seem a little surprised when I keep asking what they are, and if there is indeed an antibacterial involved (it doesn't help that no one seems to know the word haha). ANYWAYS the pharmacist finally understands and it turns out one pill amongst the other four is indeed and antibacterial that is not penicillin. I suppose the rest are just tylonol type anti fever things? I'll be sure not to take anything else while I'm on this weirdo cocktail. Parents I know you will ask but I have no idea which antibacterial because the prescription's in Korean.

Essentially this gif sums it up 100%
http://kikinitinkorea.tumblr.com/post/23290832389/going-to-the-doctor

Highly efficient, but I definitely felt like a car in for a tune up!

Anyways, I hope to feel better and definitely hope that tonight I will manage some sleep.

ON A MUCH MORE EXCITING NOTE. I AM A CELEBRITY. Here is the newspaper article containing Adri, my friend Twyla, and me! The student who gave it to me is very shy and didn't speak in English, but others swarmed around to look at the picture and give their opinions. They said "Your face is good!" and "This is famous newspaper!" and "Oooh soju!!" and "Teacher drinkee?" and "Famous!!!" I was pretty much as giddy as them.


No comments:

Post a Comment