Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Busan bust

First things first: walking home today I was greeted first by a troupe of tiny taekwondo practitioners. They were so cute and mini. One had the courage to say hello, and then they all did. None were my students. A few moments later I passed a grade 6 girl of mine who gave me another cheerful hello. She's quite shy but she's one of the few athletic girls on the running team so obviously she's awesome.

Anyways, on to some updates.
This weekend I went to Busan for this amazing fireworks festival... but then there was an INSANE rainstorm and the festival was delayed until Sunday night. Boo. It was pretty sad, and horribly wet. I did get to see the Busan aquarium though, which was awesome. Sunday, the day we had to leave, was absolutely stunning weather and we had a beautiful morning on the beach. Pretty bummed though, the festival was apparently amazing. Oh well.

The reason I had to get back on Sunday was to make my Halloween mystery box. This is the box with peeled grapes and slimy noodles used to scare the kiddies. I remember touching many a peeled grape in my childhood, and thought the kids might get a mild kick out of it. So far it has been a HUGE SUCCESS. The students were almost all at least somewhat creeped out, and way more than I expected actually screamed and ran away haha! It was amazing. I was literally cracking up in the corner as they shrieked and giggled. The five holes contained : eyeballs (peeled grapes), worms (cold udon noodles), vampire heart (a squashed up persimmon), monster slimes (morning tofu.. consistency of custard), and monster toes (mini hot dogs). They all sniffed their fingers after touching too which was a hilarious sight as well. Tomorrow I am switching out the persimmon for some pumpkin guts which will be called zombie intestines. I am actually so excited for class.

I saw an idea perusing ESL sites today. I think I will make a "mailbox" where students can write me letters. If they include their name and class I will reply. It might be time consuming, but I think it would be a great way to establish a more personal connection to those who want it and, most importantly, will get them writing original thought and not just copying things off the board. I will keep you updated on this plan.

And now the real reason you follow my blog: some pictures.

Amusing fence display at the train station. One of these
things is not like the other...

My feet in the Korean Strait. So nice to smell the ocean.



I had a feeling this was not the correct name.
Wikipedia calls Spheniscus demersus the
African Penguin.. hm..


Hermit crab with a cool artificial shell!


 Mom do not push play.


Beautiful sea dragon


Preggo papa


I had no idea electric eels got this big! According to the sign
they can reach 2m! Ah!


The only benthic jelly fish. Cool right?



My mystery Halloween box!


I finally got a new toilet seat. The last one
did not fit right and was foamy. Awful. This
one is not only a perfect fit and hard plastic,
but it sure does add some pizazz.


Just in case the jack ass penguin wasn't racist
enough...


Sunday was so gorgeous I went a little
crazy running around on the beach..


Weeeeeee


No comments:

Post a Comment