Thursday, October 4, 2012

Myths about living in Korea

Myth #1 - Korean people are tiny and you will never find clothes

Truth: After spending my summer in Montreal, Canada, the people here are very average sized. I  would even venture to say that the average Montrealer is thinner than the average Korean in my city. Of course, this is one reason why I ran away from Montreal haha.

 I have seen all different kinds of body types, and at 5'2 I am still decidedly short compared to the average person. I have students in grade 6 who are taller than me!  (Not many ok??)

Unfortunately, you are usually not allowed to try clothes on before purchasing, so people who still could fit in the clothes are hesitant to buy them. Also the sizing is in Korean.. So while it's definitely a little harder to find clothes, it is totally possible. A friend bought size 12 shoes this weekend in Seoul! I did buy a dress that's a little snugger than I expected...

Specialty sizing may be difficult.

Myth # 2 - The children will be perfect angels 

Truth: Kids are kids! Mine are adorable and I love them, but they aren't perfectly behaved robots. They will talk over me, they will talk in Korean, and they will smack each other so hard you will wonder how they are all still friends. My particular school is full of great students and teachers so I am lucky that I don't have any real problems and no students are in any way malicious, but I have heard some other people who are not as lucky. I have never taught anywhere else so I can't really compare, but these kids definitely seem to be the same as I was at their age: awesome, but occasionally naughty. Turns out the naughty ones are usually the most fun.

Myth # 3 - In this hierarchical culture, the women are meek and submissive.

Truth: No. The women here are awesome.

Myth # 4 - The toothpaste sucks.

Truth: The toothpaste sucks. So much worse than I could have imagined.



Footbridge I use to walk to an area called
Seong Nom Dong? Seong Om Dong? Who
knows. I go there sometimes.


During the Typhoon this bridge
disappeared. Now it's completely out of
the water.


Amazing praying mantis on my classroom window.


Super cool potato creation street food
we saw in Seoul (pic was on my phone
and not uploaded for my previous post)


Toronto, Canada. Gorgeous photo my mom just sent me
that I thought should be shared. 


Blueberry "latte". No coffee involved. Tasted like a muffin
cloud of happiness. 


My craving for some homey-ness. Yes, that is Twinning Lady
Grey and La vache qui rit cheese!


No comments:

Post a Comment