Thursday, October 11, 2012

Crab Soup

Not a whole lot to update on. Had a fun weekend spent here in Gyeongju and also in Ulsan visiting Adri. We discovered a foreigner bar near her house which was cute and filled with very random "western" paraphernalia. The bar tender had excellent English and we asked when he had started learning. Apparently he went to LA to work as an intern at Forever 21 with no English 2 years ago and just learnt it. How do these people do it?? Anyways this post will be random ramblings.

Today at lunch I had soup with half of a crab in it. I kept looking around at the other teachers to discover what secret methods they employed to extract the meat. There didn't seem to be any easy way, and most would lift it with their chopsticks (which is SO hard because of that whole shell business) and suck out the meat. After years living with the etiquette police I just couldn't bring myself to try this method out, so I pretty much attacked the crab with my spoon. I felt like a challenged raccoon. It was hilarious.

I've stopped asking what the unidentifiable things are for lunch because I imagine it's super annoying for my coteacher to figure out how to translate them, so I pretty much have no idea what I'm eating half the time. However, yesterday I was able to identify it all by myself because I ate KRILL. Dried krill, tiny fishies like baby anchovies or something, and slivered almonds. What a mix. It's actually pretty good. I need to bring my camera in to lunch one day because seriously most of you (friends and family) just would no believe what I am eating (and enjoying).

Tomorrow is Sports Day! Which means there will be no classes as all the students compete in various sports. The parents are coming and everything! I am extremely excited. I will bring my camera and hopefully take some pictures because the school is so huge and the warm up is very militaristic so it's this weird mixture of cute and creepy.

Also there's a teacher at my school who is trying to improve his English, so he's often studying out of this book/CD combo thing. The poor guy asked me if I could help him figure out what a "past participle" is. Oh my god. I Wikipedia-ed it because I don't actually know the rules to English and it is just ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. English makes no sense. I ended up drawing me eating pizza (I ate pizza) and then a monster eating me (I was eaten). Hopefully that helped?

This poster is in my English class and always makes
me laugh. It says "The cucumber day is May 2nd. This
day mean is we don't become the fat. So we share the
cucumber." and "The jerked meat day is June 4th.
This day is we eat the jerked meat." I can't wait for either.


Some of you may know that I am impatient. Sometimes
I click a lot of buttons on the computer. This is my
computer having a major, but pretty, spazz attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment