Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Internal dialogue during a teachers dinner

"Ooh the floor is so squishy. How fun.

Ok sitting on the floor, no problemo I wore pants and am flexible enough. Ooh look at all the food. So many tasty side dishes.

Okay everyone's here and beginning to eat. Conversation is all in Korean so look's like I'll be observing tonight.
(Eating from the side dishes) Do I really reach that far for food? It feels so rude..
Well everyone else is reaching I guess I will too. Ooh quail egg yummy.

Just got asked if I want soft tofu. Yuck no. Oh no when I said no she looked upset. Say yes. Ok.

Oh look here's the soft tofu, it's actually a soup, not bad.

OWW this soup is BOILING. And now on my shirt. And not everyone got one! I must prove myself.. this boiling soup will be my Everest. I don't want to be that lame foreigner who only eats rice!

Oh I see, the soft tofu is the only non boiling or spicy element, it's actually quite nice. 

My back hurts. My legs are getting tingly. I think I just need to cool down.

Oh hey look a baked whole fish that we apparently are dissecting with our chopsticks. Difficulty level: expert.

My mom would die. Everyone is slurping and reaching and spilling all over each other. Funny. I like a lot of the dishes though, especially the veggies and the quail eggs. And the deep fried things of course. And this crazy soup!

Speaking of soup.. it's really warming me up.. oh wait. Is the floor heating on? That can't be right...

My legs are now numb and my back is killing me. What's up with this floor business? ...

WHY IS IT SO HOT? Am I going crazy? Everyone else is in jackets??

Ooh pajeon with peanuts. Tasty.

Oh I heard "Anne" and "Canada." Oh look everyone's looking at me. Now they're laughing. Hope it's a good thing.

I have conquered the soup. I will now lean back on the wall.. OH GOD IT'S SO HOT.

Ok don't faint.. don't faint... AH My leg is touching the floor off of my bum cushion and it's EVEN HOTTER. Back. Is. Dying.

Oh now I heard "Anne" again. They're speaking to me.. in Korean. Am I supposed to answer? What do I do? Smile. Smiiiiiillleee. Apparently I didn't eat enough rice.

Hot. Hot. Hot. Hot. Maple syrup-y hot drink for dessert. Hot hot hot hot.

Ahhh. Time to go. I think I will skip the after dinner tea session for today!"


I must say that was the most tiring dinner of my life. Tasty, but oh boy it was hot in that room. I have come to the conclusion that Koreans just don't feel physical things as much as I do. They're never hot in boiling weather (or in boiling rooms while eating boiling soup), they aren't cold with all the windows open at school, and they smack each other insanely hard all the time. I'm grateful they invited me but boy oh boy am I glad I was able to get out of there haha. I will now proceed to lie on my dying back for as long as possible. A lot of the older women here walk at a 45 degree angle and I am now convinced this could be prevented if chairs become a little more en vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment