Thursday, November 21, 2013

Teacher Hike - NaeyeongSan, Pohang

Oh dear I actually went on this hike two or three weeks ago. Seriously worst blogger. Anyways, it was a beautiful day and my school took some teachers one a hike! I never say no to free cultural events, especially if there's a likelihood of free food at the end ! Add the lovely company of my coteachers and you have yourself a wonderful afternoon!



 On the walk from the parking lot to the hill, we passed through a little street lined with restaurants and shops. Shops sold trinkets common to most hiking areas: fans, walking sticks, water, knick knacks... and something I hadn't seen before..

Wait a second.. something's a little
weird with those bottles for sale in public....
 My coteacher's saw me taking photos (and giggling at the bottles) and insisted I take a picture of this lady making traditional noodles. When I commented on the industriousness of the Korean elderly, I was told that the latter said "If I do nothing, I will get sick." I laughed and said the Western mentality was usually more along the lines of "I am sick, so I will do nothing!"





Persimmon tree! Very tasty fruit.


Waterfalls!

Cool rocks

Ok so now we're on to the dinner part of the story. Dinner started off amazingly, with scrumptious kimchi and tofu and veggies to snack on.



We had a pumpkin (squash) savory pancake which was so delicious we ate it before I took a photo. I saw the menu had duck and squash, and I got all excited for this duck pumpkin dish that sounds amazing but I haven't had yet. But then, sadly, we were served one of the only Korean dishes I don't like!


This is a soup. It's called Samgyetang. Accoding toWikipedia, this means "chicken ginseng soup," but I call it "bland chicken carcass soup." Fun fact, ginseng is not actually that good.  It's not bad, but it's the only flavour in this incredibly boring soup. Also fun fact, the whole chicken is just plopped in there. So you get to dismember it with chopsticks and never know if you're eating meat or sinew or whatever else is in a chicken carcass. I mean, I guess it's nice they remove the feathers and innards, but I could really do without seeing the sad neck flopping around. Anyways, this soup was actually slightly different than the bland chicken carcass soup I'd previously had because it had another special ingredient...

Abalone.
Oh abalone. So expensive. So gross.


Bland chicken carcass soup was followed by bland rice goo. I think it's similar to congee? 


Add caption
While eating various bland chicken/rice stuff, this really freaky bit of fish was staring at me. I was too discouraged to give it a try.

HOWEVER While I complain, do remember I inhaled pumpkin pancake and seafood pancake along with all the sides so quickly no photos were taken. I just really don't like this weird soup, and I reallly don't like watery rice.

But I love you Korea and I love all your other food!! (ok not the bugs)

No comments:

Post a Comment