Monday, November 25, 2013

So full! Beefsplosion.

Today the grade 6 teachers received some kind of bonus. I am not exactly sure how, it seems they/we scored really well on teaching reviews. I was told I didn't review anyone since I don't speak Korean, so I said they all have high reviews IN MY HEART. Luckily, they are used to my humour and laughed. SO we went out to a gigantic beef dinner. The place is a butcher shop and restaurant so you pick your cuts then go sit down. It was called 소풀 which is "So Pul" which means.. cow something.. but anyways when I exclaimed "SO FULL" everyone laughed because to the Korean ear that sounds like the restaurant name! Works out well because literally every English speaker is likely to say that after a meal at this place!

Anyways we ate a variety of cuts including one very marbled specimen I was told was expensive. I try to tell the difference but I still can't really. (Also I still think piggy is tastier.)

THEN.. get ready for it..

I ate not one, but two kinds of raw beef!! It's very surprisingly light! I didn't catch the name of the first kind, but it was nice and served with little bits of what I think was Asian pear so it was super light and fresh. The second kind was called Mungtigi (뭉티기) and is apparently a specialty from Daegu. It was bigger slices and came with a little relishy sauce. Both were quite nice, much to my surprise! My coteachers kept calling it beef sushi which was a pretty good translation not knowing the accurate words! I did tell them tartar is more commonly used though, and that despite it being my first time, Westerners do also eat it.

I pretended I was a wolf while eating it. It was fun.

I am so meat-ed out though. I can feel my arteries clogging. I look very forward to some lentil soup tomorrow. I've gotten scarily good at leek, potato, lentil, and spinach soups. The secret, I've discovered, is a spoonful of cayenne pepper.

Bbq fume hood thingy. I'd never seen this model before,
kind of like a giant faucet.

Meattttt

Tartar # 1

Tartar # 2, mungtigi, and relish 


PS Washing my hands before lunch, I was surrounded by some of my kids doing the same. We can all see our faces in the mirror, which led one girl to exclaim
"TEACHER! Your face is WHITE!"
"Yes.. yes it is."
"Are all Canada people white face?"
"No, we are all different colours. White.. brown.. black.."
"I AM BROWN BYEEEEEEEEEEE!"

I had a chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment