Saturday, November 23, 2013

Making Kimchi!

Super exciting! Today I got to make kimchi! Kimchi is made once a year, and many of my students told me that this was their weekend plan. I was envious. Super last minute, a friend of mine, Candi, who is married to a Korean man, Taek, invite me along to their kimchi making! I am so happy! It was so fun, and joining in with a family is always much more exciting than doing a tour group. The family owns a restaurant, so they need a lottt of kimchi. We were six people working and we covered 70 cabbages. They are doing 150 more tomorrow!!

Anyways it was super fun. We worked with Taek's mother and some family friends. I managed to impress one woman so much with my kimchi making skills she said I should meet her son! I also was brave and ate the offered oyster wrapped in kimchi. Quite an intense breakfast. Of course, we were fed until bursting and given giant tupperwares of kimchi to take home. I will let mine ferment and then experiment with some Korean cooking!

So kind of Candi and Taek to invite us along! 




Cabbages are cut into quarters and left to soak
in salt water as step 1.

I imagine step 2 is making the kimchi
paste, but we didn't see that. So all we
did was smear the paste onto the leaves.





While making these, we snacked
on the little leaves that fell off.
Fresh kimchi is tasty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment