Thursday, November 7, 2013

Korean college entrance exam

As you should all certainly know by now, I teach elementary. So I wasn't really affected by the college entrance exam, but it's definitely an interesting aspect of Korean culture I thought might interest YOU my devoted blog readers.

This week, all students in high school grade 3 (aka grade 12 in our nomenclature) took a college entrance test. It is similar to American SATs - the scores determine which university you go to. Except from what I understand, these scores matter more than anything else in determining your university, and which university you go to determines your entire career, so safe to say these exams are a big deal.

For example, the exams are NINE HOURS long.

Here is an article with some more information. It explains the various ways the government help the students out, from delaying adult working hours to 10am to reduce congestion, to offering rides to students. Even our elementary school had no bells on test day, to reduce noise pollution in the area. I can't even begin to imagine the stress these kids must go through. My coteacher explained it is a culmination of all they have learned for twelve years, so they had better be ready. Yikes.

An interesting cultural side my coteacher also explained: it is traditional to give students sticky candies or sticky rice cakes before the test. This is because around 20  years ago, students would first apply to university before taking the test, and would actually take the test at the university they had applied to. Sticky rice cakes were given to help the students "stick" to the uni by doing well on their exams! Nowadays the test is done before applications, but the sticky treats are still given!

Seriously though, as much as I loved exams (I know I was weird deal with it) I don't think even I would have enjoyed one lasting nine hours. Nine hours. NINE HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment