Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Seoul visit #2 and back to school

We just had a long weekend and I spent it in Seoul. I have discovered that taking the bus to Seoul is twice as long, but also half as cheap as the KTX. Seems like a fair sacrifice to make as it is still a shorter trip than Montreal to Toronto!

I shopped way too much, went to a Tim Burton exhibition, and finally made my way to Itaewon, the foreigner area. It's quite surreal going there. It must be how Chinese people feel when they go to China Town. Things are definitely not the same as back home.. but really similar in an eerie kind of way. It was unbelievable to see so many options for dinner, and cafes, and brunch, and hockey jerseys!!

Here are some pictures from our visit. Next time I hope to finally make it out to the DMZ!


Running shoes are completely appropriate
and stylish footwear here. This store
was having a 10% off sale and these
ULTRA neon shoes were too
good to miss. I figure I can wear them
as walking shoes here, and
then switch them into
exercise shoes back home.
They're magical.

Tim Burton you so crazy.

POTATO TORNADO. So amazing.
It's a potatoe, twisted and sliced, fried,
battered, fried, then rolled in cheese
powder. Yum. Also I had
sausage encased rice blobs
(ok fine they're actually called
ttokbboki) which was also
tasty.
We were greeted by this unexpected display
exiting the subway.

Inside City Hall


Unexpected!

BRUNCH!!!!

Pretty view at the bus stop. Sadly, my headphones
photobombed the shot.

School is back in session! It's very exciting and I absolutely can't wait to start teaching. I will be doing all the grade 5's, 6's and now also half the grade 4's. I am happy as this will be easier to plan for than that one grade 3 class I had last semester. Because I live on the grade 6 floor, my grade5-nowgrade6 students are all super excited to see me. They hadn't seen me eating at lunch either, which is apparently quite exciting. Anyways they're lovely and I am excited to meet my new students too!

Cutest interaction so far:

"Hello! Teacher! Anne! I will miss you!" (note his CORRECT USE OF FUTURE!!)

"I am your teacher again this year!"

"Ohhhh. Ok good BYE" and cue little boy scampering off.

The new grade 1 babies are slow at eating still (so lost and confused in the big new school) so there are often stragglers when I go into the cafeteria. I swear the way they look at me I honestly could  be a mythical fairy. It's flattering and oh so adorable.

Of course kiddies are always on their best behaviour at the beginning of the year, I'm sure some will come into their pubescent rebellion as the year progresses.. but right now it's just lovely to see them! I also am hoping because they have known me for a little while, they will feel I am on their team when the time comes.


The grade 6 mailbox had gotten a little frumpy so I made this new and improved animal themed one. I can't WAIT to get letters again.







PS I am cooking chickpeas right now and I have never been more excited for legumes.

2 comments: