Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Korean Wedding!

Ok readers, bad news. I forgot to bring my camera to the wedding! I had the battery plugged in and all charged up, I just forgot to grab it on my way out. I'm sorry! My phone normally acts as a good backup but it just wasn't cooperating, so very sadly I have only terrible photos of the wedding. Oh well! I will try to make up for it with my descriptions...

The first main different of this wedding was the time. The wedding took place at noon on a Saturday. Adri wanted to come along, so I asked and that was fine. We got all gussied up and were picked up by another teacher (which was super nice since the hotel is about a 20 minute drive away). 

We got to the hotel and were ushered upstairs, where we could see a beautiful wedding portrait of the couple. Mystery solved: the wedding photos taken months ago were indeed on display at the wedding! One was framed, while the rest were showed on a projector while people took their seats. Having done my research, I had come prepared with cash. The wedding venue provided envelopes and a pen in which we put our money, and then we were given meal tickets.

At this point, the bride arrived. She was not kept in hiding prior to the ceremony like back home, in fact she was placed in a room where she sat for photos with her guests. She has a little helper who scurried about adjusting the veil, the skirt, her makeup, etc. She looked so lovely! The dress was a western style white gown, even strapless! Her veil was sparkly and long. There was a distinctly Korean twist to the ensemble: under her dress she was wearing full bloomers! I mean pouffy long pants with a ruffled elastic hemline. She also had adorable lace socks on. It was so cute, whenever she lifter her dress to walk and we could see these adorable modest accessories.

After taking our photo with her, we went and sat down. The room was decorated quite nicely, though minimally personal. The hotel was referred to as a "wedding factory" so much of the decor is used for multiple weddings. Here's a terrible photo of the room.


You can see the slideshow
of the wedding photos.

In the  middle of the room was a long walk way, obviously for the wedding party! At exactly 12:01, the wedding began. First the fathers walked up, and then sat on couches on either side of the walkway. Then the mothers, in matching elegant hanboks, walked up and sat with their husbands. When the groom walked down the aisle, the most manly song ever played. I had to laugh. The song was instrumental, but if it had words they would be something like .. "I am a man ! I am going to marry this woman! YEAH." To add to the drama of it all were smoke machines AND a bubble machine.




 When the bride walked down the aisle, a beautiful feminine song played. It was lovely, but hard to take it seriously with all the smoke machine business.


Next, a lot of Korean talking happened. Oddly, the man on the stage was our principal! I am not sure exactly what his role was, but I will ask. I'm not sure if he actually married them, or if he was the MC. Either way, I was surprised he had such a big role in the wedding! He was wearing his special occasion tie - the one with purple sequins of course. It didn't seem overly formal because he was making jokes and everyone was laughing. The couple bowed to both sets of parents, which looked like the formal "you are now married part." I know that here women are expected to spend the holidays with their husband's family, and to spend most of the time cooking elaborate meals. I couldn't help but feel bad for my co-teacher, who has never lived away from her parents, as she bowed goodbye to them. As times are changing these rules are becoming less strict though, and I'm sure she will still see them plenty!

To solidify the grandeur of this moment, snow came down from the ceiling.



Because I don't speak Korean, I was completely taken by surprise when suddenly a parade of men came in and handed single roses to the bride. There were so many! I later was told just that it was to congratulate her, but I couldn't help but feel it was a line of her failed suitors. 


The next unexpected event was when the principal said "SHIZA" which I have learnt means something like "ready set go!" and I actually use it a lot in the classroom. Suddenly, the groom sprinted down the aisle and back. Everyone was laughing. It was hilarious. He had to do this a few times, when Adri and I were told it was time to go. As we left the wedding room, we noticed the wedding portrait and flowers had changed. Guests for the next wedding had arrived. It was not yet 1:00!

The meal was pretty unexpected - a very informal hotel buffet. We ate in a big room among regular hotel guests, and guests from various weddings. It was very odd. Also unusual, Adri and I were the only foreigners and received the least stares ever. I guess weddings are not a time to gawk at foreigners, but a time to gawk at the bride. I agree! Although the bride, groom and close family did not come to the lunch. Apparently there is a more intimate "hanbok ceremony" at this point for them.

We took a bit of everything of the food, so by the time we got to soup neither Adri or I had any space to grab any. Turns out this is a faux pas and we were supposed to have taken some noodle soup. Because of the informality of the meal though, no one really minded. 




So while we were back home before 2, I am super happy I got to experience a Korean wedding. My coteacher looked beautiful and her groom looked absolutely dapper (the men all wear white gloves and look soooo charming). I really hope they are happy together and have a lovely honeymoon!


No comments:

Post a Comment