Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lovely Day

My "fun" class (we haven't started the textbook lessons yet) with the grade 6's yesterday didn't turn out that well. I tried teaching them a song, but it was a little too complex and only a few sang along. Unlike last semester, however, even a kind of bad class was totally fine, and the kids were still great even if they were a little lost. Soooo today I revamped the class, and switched out the song for a game of M.A.S.H. I played that game pretty much every recess it rained in elementary, so I was not surprised by it's popularity. Big hit!! 

Cute things that happened today:

On their "get to know you" paper, I have the kids write things they like, and things they don't like. Interestingly (and kinda heart wrenching I must admit) a huge proportion don't like cheese. Cheese is probably one of the most unanimously loved ingredients back home! So crazy. Although I find myself enjoying dried mini anchovies here, so things are just crazy out East I suppose. Anyways, many kids wrote that they don't like to study. When I said I liked studying, some kids looked at me in utter disbelief. I then told them how in Canada it was different, and in high school we finish at 3:30pm, and then can go play sports. They freaked out. Here high school students stay in school until 10pm, and then head off to hagwans, or private academies. Our system seems like a life of heavenly leisure to them, poor dears. One of the many reasons I love teaching elementary is they haven't had their souls crushed by the brutal workload of later years.
After school, I saw a group of girls who had graduated. They were all in their new middle school uniforms. When they saw me they all yelled my name and ran to me for hugs. They weren't the first graduates I've seen, but they were the first to give me such a lovely reception. Made me very happy. 

Later I passed some little boys. I didn't recognize them, so they must be some of my new students. They were playing in the park by my apartment, and ran over to me and climbed over the fence to chat. They said I was beautiful and that they loved me. Very adorable, and unexpected from such young boys. I'm not complaining!

I also saw the boy who made "trash robot" during winter camp and he is just too cute.

Finally, I got my first letter of the year! It was absolutely covered in stickers and is on such adorable paper. See for yourself!! Tomorrow I teach my first grade 4 classes, I'm excited! And a little nervous!



"The Giraffe   s Life
I dream of you Maybe som eday
you will come true"

"Dear Ann teacher ^^.
Hello, Anne teacher. My name is Heo yoon ju. Nice to meet you. You are a very tall and you have yellow hair. I think many Eigirsh no. Plese teach how to Eiglrsh. I like you. You are is very kind and you are no fat. I thik 5 yard is very very very good. How about you??? When is your birthesday? My birthesday is 10.13 ^^~ I have yonger barther. My barther is 1 yard. You have a yonger barther? I want to a my older sister. You have a older sister? I have a my moter, my father, my yonger barther I am have. I love my family and me."

This may be the first and last time I am ever referred to as tall. Amazing.

Pretty tree outside my window
at school.
Tree in a very bleak intersection. 





No comments:

Post a Comment