Monday, December 3, 2012

What do you want to do?

This is the never ending birthday and I'm loving it. Grade 5 teachers got me a delicious chocolate mousse cake today. I am so SPOILED. I had another class sing to me, and another absolutely adorable card.





Today I taught the grade 5 kiddies. I adore them. The lesson this week is "What do you want to do?" or something like that. They learn like "I want to ride a bike" or "I want to take a rest." Anyways, I saw an idea on Waygook.org to do a bucket list lesson.  I first showed them a bunch of fun ideas (bungee jumping, meeting a KPOP star, living in a caslte) then I showed them my bucket list with 3 sections.. In 5 years I want to .... In 10 years I want to .... and Before I die I want to....

Anyways, they were pretty amused by my list which was cute. I obviously simplified, but one kid was sooo amazed that I wanted to be a scientist haha. Most were horrified that I wanted to swim with dolphins! Legitimately horrified . They were all amused that I want pet chickens. Agnes and Fern will be mine one day!!

ANYWAYS I told them to write their own, and then instructed them to seal them in envelopes and open them again in 10 years. They really liked the lesson! One kid even expressly said "this is a good idea!" So they were happy to work on them at their desks for the whole class. They all tried really hard to get the English words needed either by searching in dictionaries, or playing hilarious charades with me. My favourite interaction was the following
Students; Teacher, Dog Il, spelling?
Anne: I don't know! Who is that?
Student: Not who. Hm.. Dog Il! Dog Il.. hmm.. HITLER!
Anne: Germany?
Student: Yes! Spelling!
Anne: G E R M A N Y. That was really smart of you!
Student: I know I know I know.

I also had a few boys saying how they wanted to kill Japan and North Korea, but later decided instead that Korea could unify "like Germany". I gave them the spelling for that instead!

It was really cool to see the kids express themselves. Many had similar goals of going to a good school or meeting a boyfriend/girlfriend, but they all had their own individual spin on things. Progamer, sky diving, travelling all over the world (except only maybe two kids wanted to go to Canada. I'm trying hard to work on our PR people), all kinds of pets, just a whole lot of stuff that I won't remember but was cool! One kid even wanted to go Saudi Arabia! I really hope at least some manage to keep the letters and open them in 10 years. How amazing and cute would it be to see something like that?  A few wrote they wanted to become teachers, which obviously makes my heart melt a little even though I'm not a real teacher.

Adorable owl hand cream bottle.


Mailbox idea is spreading! Helped my
private academy friend design this bad boy
last night. I also made the envelope and
chose the eyeball positions.


Side story. I had to buy more stationary today because I am a letter writing fiend. I got my first stationary downtown, and it was a cartoon duck eating ramen noodles. Very cute. The store is a little far though so on my way home today I stopped in a little shop and found some. I had the option between heart covered papers with either English or Korean writing, so I picked the English package. Turns out half are in Korean anyways. The English headings include the following:

"Lovely Angel. Wishing you happiness today, tomorrow, and always..."
"Love is not something you can pick and choose. It simply comes to you."
"We know the Real goodness of Club Life." this one gets extra points for having a picture of canoes.
"The autumn approaches. The leaves on the trees have turned yellow."
 "An autumn day! A.u.t.u.m.n. tinges the woods with a thousand beautiful varieties of colors."

and my personal favourite (and by favourite I mean I am really weirded out to use this with children)
"I love you... when your whisper soothes me in the early morning hours...."

I think I might go back downtown next time and find some more word free duck papers...

No comments:

Post a Comment