Monday, August 27, 2012

Moved in!

Hi guys!

I know I said I wouldn't have internet, but I am lucky and do! I am currently on a neighbours wireless and the signal is not too bad while I wait for mine to be hooked up.

I woke up today around 5 30 because I was so nervous/excited! Packed everything up, had my last free breakfast (bacon and eggs for our last meal! so nice of them) and was OFF.

We drove from Jeonju (Orientation location) to Gumi, where we had  lunch. Lunch included more bibimbap and a seafood pajeon (turns out this is the fried pancake thing I had my first night). Pretty much, my favourite two Korean dishes. Pajeon is actually so amazing. Today's again contained various tentacles and a bunch of fresh little onions. Yum.

But on to more exciting things! I met my co teacher and was driven to Gyeongju! She seems extremely nice, and I think we had a very pleasant ride. She's been to Canada a bunch of times, and so I am please to know she'll like the maple syrup I brought her. Her car GPS was out of this world. It included a 3D map of where we were which was accurate to the point of showing specific buildings around us. It had little 3d people walking across the crosswalks. It would warn her when she was speeding if a taffic camera was coming up. It was amazing. She was amused by my amazement.

I got to my apartment which was nothing like I expected... it was much better! My kitchen, living room, laundry room and bedroom are all separate rooms! There is a whole bunch of stuff here including dishes, cleaning products, and a drying rack. There is A/C! There is internet! There is a TV in case I want to watch Korean TV! Haha. So exciting!

Another bonus: I'm in a bustling little area. I am 5 minutes from a big grocery store, and 10 minutes from my school. There are cafes and restaurants everywhere. I really want to wander around, but I have decided to spend today unpacking. Tomorrow I will wander and take good pictures for you guys.

Tomorrow I start at the school eeeeeee. I am going to spend the day observing, and then Wednesday I will start teaching. My coteacher asked me to prepare a little introduction class about me and Canada. Shouldn't be too hard... right?

Oh and also she said I will be mainly teaching grades 5 and 6 which I think sounds like a good age group. It's a huge school with 9 different grade 6 classes, ayeuy. Another teacher from EPIK found out today that they'd be teaching at 3 middle schools and 1 high school.. poor guy!!

Ok MAJOR rambling, I apologize. The computer chair I am sitting in is one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in, so blogging currently is much more enticing than unpacking.

ONE MORE THING: I have somehow managed to learn the Korean alphabet! It's very logical so it hasn't been too hard. Understanding what I'm reading, however, is a whole different story haha. I am too hyper to spell check. Deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you, Annie. Can't wait to see photos. Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete