Friday, August 24, 2012

Field trip and Orientation

Yesterday we got a nice break from all these classes, which was wonderful. We went to Keumsan temple and saw gorgeous temples and monks. I could have happily stayed in one of the temples for hours. It's amazing how serene it is. There were a few people praying as well, and many bags of rice as homage to Buddha.

We then had authentic (and delicious) bibimbap (as it was invented in this area) in Hanok Village. We walked around the town, which was amazing and got me so excited for this year. We were a few hundred, all in the same shirts, so I am excited to venture my future placement town and get to know the locals as an individual instead of a member of a herd. 

We spent the afternoon doing traditional Korean cultural activities: drumming, dancing, and pencil box making. It was all a ton of fun, although I messed up being the lion's head in dance class. It is very disorienting being in a very hot stuffy "lion" costume while a man is enthusiastically speaking to you in Korean. Speaking of Korea, I am slowly but surely acquiring a little bit of the language. I went to a Walmart type store yesterday and everyone was happy when I could say thank you. I may have bought some mozza sticks from a Korean type McDonalds. Don't judge me; yesterday's dinner was so pickled and so fishy. Speaking of fish, I had some baked flathead today that was so good I got a second piece ! I also am in love with lotus root, which is essentially pretty Asian potato.


Anyways, classes have been on all day today and now it is time for my after dinner Korean lesson. I will have to edit this post later so bear with any errors.








I'm not going to stop being obsessed with these gingkos.

This one's for you mommy

Cool stone pile offerings to Buddha


No blog post would be complete
without some food shots. Note
the piece of squash. So good.

HUGE AMAZING RAINBOW

It is so green and lush everywhere due to the humidity.


Found some pretty fun wall art in Hanok Village.




No comments:

Post a Comment