Thursday, August 9, 2012

Introduction: Packing is the worst.


Hello!

This is my first blog post, how exciting.

I will be using this blog to chronicle my journey throughout South Korea, where I will be teaching English as a second language. I will be teaching with EPIK - English Programme in Korea, which is the government public school system. If I make any grammar errors it will be very embarrassing. I just almost misspelled embarrassing. How embarrassing.

My first adventure was trying to pack a year's worth of life into a single suitcase. That weighed 23kg. If this doesn't sound incredibly difficult, let me assure you that it is. The airline I am flying to Korea with, Etihad, has a strict weight limit and they charge per kilogram of overweight-ness. An extra 5kg costs 255USD! So.. with the help of space bags, loud music, and my mother's bathroom scale, I magically pulled it off. I ended up packing about half of what I wanted, but my bag was 23.1kg at the airport! I flew from Montreal to Toronto and everything was fine.. however I then flew from Toronto to London (I'm taking a 10 day pit stop here to help my friend Lauren move into an apartment and see London) with Transat who weighed my carry on. It was 8kg, 3kg overweight... But she was nice and let me slide through. Lucky. Also somehow my suitcase became 24kg. Weird. Hopefully my charm will work on the Etihad workers as well.


Before

After! The shorts didn't make it...

So now I am journeying through London! Today I went to Borough Market and St Paul's Cathedral. The market was absolutely amazing, and is probably one of my favourite places I've ever been to. St Paul's was pretty, but it cost money to go inside.. So we are thinking of just going to a service later because that is free. There's a singing service so that shouldn't be too bad. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the singing won't involve Whoopi Goldberg singing "Oh Happy Day".

Photos from the market:












No comments:

Post a Comment