Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fools!

Much to my delight, April Fool's is a holiday here as well! The kids call it "man-u-jol" and they translate it as "lie day" or "just kidding day" so I'm going to assume it's the same holiday.

I started each class by writing "April 1st" on the board. Asking if they knew the special day "Yes! Lie day!" and then wrote "April Fool's" and explained that "fool" is a "crazy person." Using the word crazy, which is apparently a bad word in Korean, is always a huge hit. Literally right after this, I tell them they have a BIG and DIFFICULT test today.

Cue look of extreme panic.

"April fools! Just kidding!!"

Cue laughter from the high level kids, a quick translation, and then laughter everywhere. It was a very fun time. The kids also liked telling me lies. These included "it's snowing!" "you're ugly!" "you're pretty!"(jerks haha) and my favourite "Teacher, did you know everyone hates you?" The latter was said with the biggest grin ever followed very quickly by "KIDDING!"

 It was good fun. My friend and fellow foreigner teacher at my school told a few Korean coteachers that I was pregnant. Their faces dropped in shock for about a second, but then they laughed.

Such fun!!

Also seriously though, is it April Fools or April Fool's ? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but why is there even an apostrophe? The day belongs to a single fool? Oh goodness I just misspelled apostrophe. How am I an English teacher again?

No comments:

Post a Comment