Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Scan.dal.

I have often felt like I could do no wrong in Korea. I've worn sleeveless tops and gotten compliments, gone to work with hair that puts Medusa to shame, and basically bumbled around with an astonishing lack of  language skills . While I always try my best to be polite, I've noticed I definitely have a permanent get out of jail free card when it comes to customs like bowing or the double handed pass. And of course, regardless of whether or not my lesson was a success, I am constantly swarmed with love and admiration from students. So again, I felt like I could do no wrong.

I did so wrong.

With the spring weather currently upon up, it's a little tricky dressing for school. Mornings are cool, and the school hallways can be very chilly, however midday and some classrooms are hot. So when I was getting dressed yesterday I was pleased to discover a pair of thin tights I had forgotten I had. I put them on and noticed a little hole on the back of one knee. I considered changing, but thought such a small hole certainly wouldn't be noticed, and definitely not on invincible, foreigner, beautiful Anne.

I was so wrong.

The snickering that burst throughout the classroom when I turned around was so intense I was absolutely convinced I had tucked my dress into my underwear. I kept running my hand down my back to reassure myself that it wasn't. It couldn't possibly be the tiny hole, could it? I had seen another teacher wearing a dress so short I actually saw her bloomers underneath, so surely a tiny back-of-knee back was nothing to worry about? But no. Soon, the good students were motioning me towards them with a look of panic.

"Teacher! Stockings! HOLE!!!'

I spent the rest of the day being followed by giggles and urgent whispers. "Hole Teacher!!" "HOLE!" Of course, as I should have known, the hole did nothing but get bigger throughout the day.

I swear I felt like I was walking around naked with a skull and cross bones tattoo across my back. It was very, very frazzling.

Lessons learned: Mom was right, no holes allowed in stockings!

No comments:

Post a Comment