Sunday, September 16, 2012

Typhoon Sanba

Woohoo!

 I just got sent home from school! There is a typhoon heading in today, so classes were all cancelled. Teachers and staff still had to go in, but then I was told I could go since I don't really have admin tasks. As I am developing a cold I am pretty excited to spend the day at home! Plus I love storms and feeling snug as a bug in a rug while they rage on outside. I even bought some veggies, including gorgeous king oyster mushrooms that are cheap here, to cook a little. 

A lot of people here are anxious about the weather/surprised that umbrellas actually turn inside out. I explained to everyone that back in Canada (Halifax for those who know Canadian geography) we got September hurricanes every year. While the weather is definitely intense, this is just a nice little reminder of home :)

This weekend was a lot of fun: Adri came to visit me in my town this time. While our hiking plans were cut short due to pre-typhoon rain, we did manage to not eat hagfish. I also showed her my new favourite pub which looks like a gnome hut down the street. 

Next weekend we have tickets to the Hallyu Dream Festival and I am SO EXCITED.  It is just by chance that this festival is happening right here in Gyeongju, and luckily I was told to sign up for a free ticket raffle for foreigners. Guess who won two tickets? So I have two tickets to a KPop Cover band competition on Saturday, which will be awesome. They have been competing for months and this will be the finale. Then a friend of mine won tickets to the concert on Sunday, which involves huge K-Pop celebrities and she will be taking me. My students will be SO jealouS! Hopefully both my cold and this weather will all be gone by then.

Anyways, I look forward to my snuggly day at home. Here are some pictures:


Amazing mandu, or dumpling, that comes from down the
street. The woman who sells these recognizes me now and
knows my order : 1 kimchi mandu. Oh baby it's good.


Moosehead represent!!


The coffee shop across the street makes such gorgeous
lattes. I had a  crazy coloured blueberry one that
tasted like a muffin,probably should have
taken a photo. Here is a regular
ol coffee flavoured latte and a happy spoon.

Rainy view from school 

I am always prepared for rainy weather.


Shops with their windows taped up for the typhoon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment