Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Paying my utilities

I just paid my utilities.  I got the bill placed on my door late at night and was actually worried a stray cat was attempting entry. My coteacher told me I just had to go upstairs to pay. Needless to say, I did not look forward to the inevitably awkward interaction.

Awkward INDEED.

An older man opened the door (please bear in mind I still am not 100% sure this is my land lord) and I show him the utility bill. His wife then takes over. A little girl, around 4, is gaping at me and can't stop smiling. What can I say, I'm pretty fun to look at. The woman keeps asking me something and making a telephone gesture, so I asked if I should go get my phone.. Of course she understands me about as well as I understand her. I use the universal language and show her the money I am using to pay for the bill. Success. Her husband gets me the change and I am now able to use 1/5 Korean phrase I know and say thank you. While saying this, however, she starts saying something and patting me on the back. I think "Is there something stuck on my back?" She then turns me around and starts pointing down the stairs. She is smiling, so I didn't get the feeling she was angry, I think she legitimately thought I did not know that to return to my apartment, I had to go down. 

Let's just say I am glad that's over with!

Teaching is going pretty well! I had a really cute class today. The grade 5's are my favourite. I am so happy I got elementary. The few grade 6's who are going through puberty scare me so much. Not actually, but you know what I mean. I like the size difference to be a little more pronounced! Anyway, the coteachers I worked with today were extremely nice and supportive. One said I was very good and funny, and was like an actress. It was very sweet. One class had two students with the English name "Ann" and one with the English name "Charles"! It was very exciting. 


Also one students drew and EXCELLENT drawing of a beetle. The teacher asked if I knew what the name was in English. I had to smile at her reaction to "rhinoceros beetle." They stuck with just beetle.


I went on my first jog in about a month on Sunday and was encouraged by an adorable old man. He gave me a thumbs up as I took a much needed heat break. The people here are so incredibly kind to me. I also explored downtown, which is much nicer than where I wandered to the other day. Hurray :) It is a bustling maze of alleys, shops, and food. Will be fun to get to know it better. We stopped in a coffee shop after window shopping and the barista loved that I was from Canada. We are so popular.

PS Mom and Dad you'll be happy to know I just bought a full load of groceries full of veggies and even some fruit. 


Pretty view, and an interesting mix of eras


Oh yeah. I eat this now.


For obvious reasons, this amused me greatly. So. Creepy.


This is a sesame leaf! Delicious!!
So they don't only make seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment