Friday, September 7, 2012

End of week 2

Happy Friday everyone!

I have no major news, so I will just ramble on about random living in Korea tidbits. All in all, teaching is going well, my teachers are all fabulous, I am eating tons at lunch and have been cooking yummy meals at home. I really wish I could send a picture of the soup I ate today. It pretty much was the ocean. I've never eaten a shrimp in a shell before and didn't know how to do it (let alone with chopsticks) so I left those alone. Was a weird moment when I realized I was happiest with spoonfuls that contained tentacles. 

Today I had a new class: a grade 4 English Club class. This is a much smaller class with no set curriculum. I broke out my handy introduction powerpoint.
This powerpoint, which I have used in all my classes, includes a few pictures of me. One is of my mom and me in a kayak, and I only tell them it is me after a few seconds. For some reason, they always get a kick out of this. However, this also makes them suspicious that I am in all the photos, so when I next show pictures of Habs hockey players, they all think it is me! Pretty funny. When I say no, they ask if it is my boyfriend.

ANyways, like I said, this club will have no curriculum. I asked the teacher what to do next week, and he said to teach them about Canadian Culture. Now these grade 4's were INSANELY hyper so I will need to find some fun activities, but I am so happy about this class. I think it will be a lot of fun. Canada is so huge I have so many options for different classes. I am definitely thinking "The Hockey Sweater" story time. And possibly a few games of Stella ella olla - quintessential Canadian Culture I think.

I have read poutine described as "french fries in a sauce made of meat or cheese" so I think my expertise is needed here.

I wrapped up their class, as I have done with all my introduction classes, with a simplified rendition of camp song "There was a great big moose."

 Oh. My. Goodness. 

I cannot explain how funny the kids thought this was. It's a silly song with some actions that I sing in different ways - sad, angry, slow, fast, and underwater. These kids absolutely LOVED when I was angry. One kid fell out of his chair laughing. They made me do it twice in class. Afterwards, as I walked down the hall, a group ran after me screaming "Anne teacher! Sing again! Angry! Angry! It is good!" Who could say no to that?

This weekend I am going to Ulsan to visit my very favourite redhead. I am pretty excited, although very confused on how to get there. Luckily, some of my new friends went earlier today so I will pester them until I get full disclosure.

I took money out of the bank all by myself! My flight has been reimbursed and I got my settlement allowance, so I feel pretty rich right now.

Here is a sandwich wrapper from a sandwich parents brought to us teachers. Enjoy!


So glad this sandwich was hygienic. 



Final thought: It is too cute when I ask "Team 1, are you ready?" and the super excite little boy answers "YesSE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment