Monday, February 25, 2013

Weekend in Ulsan

After a long hiatus, I visited Ulsan for the weekend. I forgot how gracious of a host Adri was, and I had a really fun time. It's also a lot of fun to meet new people who aren't all my neighbours. We even met a few Koreans who thought it was very funny that I lived in Gyeongju because the city is so traditional and boring (according to them).

I had gone to Ulsan to get my hair cut at a place Adri recommended. They all spoke English and it was a lovely salon. They offered to straighten it and I figured why not. Anyways, two women straightened my hair doing about half a pinky's width of hair at a time. It was sooo delicate. But boy was my hair straight. I don't think it's ever been so straight.

Most importantly, we discovered a little cafe that sold really nice teas and western delicacies like sandwiches. It was amazing. We walked in and the staff were instantly excited to see us, and started to make other customers move to give us room. We said we could just return in a little bit to allow the others to finish. When we came back we got super tasty tea and sammies, and even got our tea leaves resteeped. Just when Adri and I thought maybe we had stayed in the cozy spot a little too long, we were given free cake. We aren't sure if everyone gets free cake if they stay long enough, or if this was just one of the many foreigner perks. Either way, London Tea was a sweet cafe and a tasty, albeit costly, meal. It was also right next to the Ulsan Grand Park, where we enjoyed a lovely walk and used the crazy outdoor "exercise" machines (they are very strange balancing machines with no resitance. We played on one where you just swing yourself from side to side on like a sideways standing swing. So fun)

Our delicious spiced tea came with an hourglass
to ensure perfect steeping time.

I had a "Thanksgiving Sandwich" and Adri got the
Curry Chicken Salad. Mine included cranberry sauce,
and the menu states  that they specify in cranberries
because of health. Now you know.

Free food has no calories, which is lucky because
I ate both our pieces.

Ulsan Grand Park



Lots of funky statues in the park



No comments:

Post a Comment