Saturday, February 2, 2013

Thailand - Chiang Mai

Chiang mai is the biggest city in Northern Thailand. We hadn't realized just how north it was until we looked at a map. We arrived around 5AM and were surprised to be greeted a very chilly morning. We spent our first day wandering around the city, looking at more temples, and then treated ourselves to spa treatments. It was a stunning city, with a very different vibe than Bangkok. Locals seemed softer, and the tourists were more laid back. It was a lovely city and we all decided we were sad we only had one day to explore.

In the evening we went to the night market which was really cool. I could spend a week trying something new there every night. Because it was so hot though, we opted to just try things that were easy to eat while walking and got some spicy curry grilled squid, and some mango with sticky rice. I had been told to try mango with sticky rice  before going to Thailand and I admit I wasn't that excited. It sounded dry and bland. WAS I EVER WRONG. It was by far the greatest culinary discovery of my trip. While it looks like nothing special, I assure you it is AMAZING.

















Only when we saw this man hand crafting each
little detail of this temple did the massive
amount of work needed for each temple truly
dawn on us





Night market:





Not sure if I am ready to eat these











SO DELICIOUS

Beautiful flower arrangements for
Buddhist offerings.



Cutie gecko

No comments:

Post a Comment