Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winter Camp Complete

It was such a success. My first awkward day quickly made way for a very fun and coherent camp. The theme worked out really well. I asked the students which class was their favourite and a bunch said the animal class! Yay my class :)

Anyways, Monday's class was a sustainability class, so they got to make robots out of recyclables. It was a huge success in each age group. They got so into it! I extended that project to Tuesday and had them present their robots. One little grade three bebe named his "Trash Robot" which was actually excellent use of the new vocabulary. Anyways he thought this was the funniest thing in the world and laughed hysterically whenever he said it. Trash robot can fight and clean, in case you were curious. The same boy and his friend also thought it was hilarious to fake shoot me the entire class (cute killing, not mean). My retaliation was to stick my icey hands down the backs of their shirts. My mother used to do that to my brother and me. Turns out it's pretty hilarious being the cold handed adult. Anyways, I have a picture of them shooting me and it's adorable.

Today, last day, they made posters of their teams' countries. Also really cute and successful. So I'm feeling pretty awesome! A few brought in little presents for me, like tangerines, which was adorable and made me feel loved.

The paper says: My name is Roro.
He can jump!



This robot is a kangaroo! The baby
is removable. So awesome.





I can't figure out how to rotate this.


The drawings on the bottom are
the girls in the group. They all
had the same characters in their
passports. SO CUTE. Broke
my heart throwing it away but
I can't really keep it. As I type this
I realize I could have used it to
decorate my apartment and now
I am sad.





Anecdote. There are saunas here when you can go and sit in hot tubs and steam rooms and relax. They're popular because our apartments/showers are all so cold. So anyways I went to one with some friends the other day. As I was getting ready to go, this super old lady sitting on the floor tapped my leg. She motioned to her back, so I thought Oh no my wet hair maybe dripped on her, so I dried my hair. She shook her head and motioned for me to crouch down next to her. She then proceeded to tenderly dab my back dry. I must have missed a spot. It was such a surreal moment of human kindness. She was so old that when she left she walked in the 90 degree angle that many of the over worked elderly have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment