Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mitzvah of the month

Today I bought a bus ticket that cost  about 4.60$ (I will just make all the prices into dollars for simplicity sake). I gave her a 5$. Accidentally, she gave me  40cents plus the 5$ in change. When I returned the 5 and mimed that it was too much, she was SUPER grateful. I feel like a hundred bucks right now. Small deeds can make people so happy. But as Phoebe in friends noted, there are no selfless acts because I felt really awesome afterwards and am now bragging about it.

Good thing I feel like a hundred bucks cause I just spent about that on a shopping bonanza. I finally went to the big city of Daegu for browsing. Between cabs, buses, trains and the actual shopping, I definitely feel a little over splurged. BUT I bought super cute boots (for only 40$!) and a beautiful ring. For once it was easy to find boots for my short legs!! I'm really loving being average sized. Anyways, the ring was from a super adorable shop and will now be my Korean reminder for all days.

Korea ring!

I realized I hadn't taken any day-to-day photos in a while so here are also a few snap shots around. Particularly interesting are the first two: they are taken about 10 m from each other. I think they really highlight the disparity between old times poor Korea, and current Dynamic Korea.



Not much here except a few decrepit houses....

Ten meters later, BAM:
shiny new apartment building.

Canola oil and spam - a beautiful gift if I've ever seen one.


Restaurants here often have a cartoon picture of the animal
they serve. Cute pigs and cows smile from BBQs, even
smiling kimbaps (sushi rolls) are seen. These happy clams
can't wait to be eaten!


Potatoes do not come pre-washed.


Cool plastic bottle angel in Daegu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment