Sunday, August 4, 2013

Relaxing Summer

Summer vacation is here. Kids and most teachers are on holiday, leaving me teaching English camps. This past week I taught at a district camp - meaning students and teachers from 4 schools got together for one camp. It was very relaxed as I taught only 1-3 classes per day, and then finished at noon. I spent a lot of time with my coteacher hanging out in the afternoon. It was relaxing and lovely. Camp went really well and the kids seemed to enjoy it. I taught 3 topics: volcanoes, restaurant role play, and a magic card trick. The latter was unanimously the most popular! 

Next week I'll teach my school camp, which will be 5 days long with two 80minute classes per day. Hopefully it's also a success. I start tomorrow with a Mexican themed class I made where they'll learn a very abridge history and culture lesson about Mexico, a few Spanish words that I believe have permeated the English language (perfecto, adios, etc.) and finally we'll be making a pinata! I'm so fun.

Anyways, the heat is still brutal but we figured out how to get to a beach only one city bus away! It's called Jeonchon Beach and has made the weekends quite lovely. (Just take the 100 bus from the bus terminal or train station for anyone interested). Unlike the extremely popular sandy beaches of Busan, this beach is a pebble beach. This means sand doesn't get stuck everywhere, which is a blessing, and pretty much the only other beach goers are Korean families. It is extremely relaxing with no young adult beach competition, we are happy to just relax, swim, and watch adorable babies. It's also very amusing because everyone swims fully clothed, with life jackets and flotation devices. And by "swims" I mean they walk into maximum chest deep water. My friends and I swim slightly less fully clothed, life jacket free, and into the 'deep' part (about 3m from the shore). I feel like such a mermaid! Anyways, everyone is very happy with cute grandmas giggling, and rolling around in the waves while babies shriek and jump around from the cold water. It's absolutely lovely.

Here is a mishmash of summer photos.


Local dish called "mil myeon." Similar to a very
common Korean dish called "naeng myeon"
(cold noodles) but apparently during the Korean
war, this area couldn't get all the ingredients
needed for naeng myeon. SO they used
what they had an invented mil myeon!
Very tasty. Here you can see the two versions:
a spicy cold noodle on the left, and the
milder cold noodle soup on the right.

Sea snails. Not terrible tasting, but
mentally tough to enjoy.

Literally every lingerie shop has "couple
underwear" on display in the window.
It's ridiculous. My coteacher, however,
simply could not understand why I found it
funny.  
Nail polish here is wild and I love it. My newest colour.
Showing my one magic trick.

YES! THAT IS OUR CARD!
Magic Anne teacher.


Unicorn kid was my favourite. Look at her!
Individual all the way. She was awesome.

Beautiful view from my window the other day.
I am never playing in a sand based playground
again.

Finally, on to the beach photos!
Relaxing in the pebbles.

Anne in the ocean in Korea.

Can you spot the foreigners?

Jeonchon beach is a wonderful escape from the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment