Sunday, January 26, 2014

Winter Camp

Winter camp was a lovely success. This year's theme was Holidays. I taught one holiday per day- Thanksgiving, Easter, Hanukkah, and Christmas. I omitted Halloween since I teach that during the year. On the final day I had the kids show me their favorite Korean Holiday. I actually learnt about a new holiday: Dano. There is no day off for it so I never noticed it before. Involves hair washing, and swinging, and wrestling. Sounds nice.

Anyways it was a very fun camp. Each day I would teach a bit, then we'd do a craft. Crafts are my favourite cause they're so easy to teach. We did a thanksgiving booklet, Easter eggs, a paper dreidel, and a paper Christmas stocking. The stockings were hung and then Santa came overnight and popped in a candy in each! It was pretty cute seeing their excitement at looking into a stocking for the first time. Eggs were a big hit too, as was gambling for candy with the dreidels. Basically it was super fun and beyond easy to teach because the kids are so good in camp. Yay.

Next up: Hong Kong!

Making dreidels

Dreidel playing 

Stocking hung with care. Two
grade sixers wanted their stockings
to be the HIGHEST!

And some unrelated tidbits...

With Lunar New Year around the corner
grocery stores are full of gift sets.
Spam and oil are very popular. 

This is a unicorn cake. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment